Tuesday 5 July 2011

Term 3 part 1

Term 3 was good! I visited the Wellcome Collection and became massively inspired to focus much more on the body. I continued with my interest in internal sensations in a series of several small scale drawings.

This is my studio space fairly near the beginning of the term with my drawings and postcards from the Wellcome Collection, photocopies of things that were informing my work, such as anatomical illustration, Ernst Haeckel and Mona Hatoum.


A little bit later as I refined my drawings on an even smaller scale. Some pieces were quite personal, others inspired by anatomical illustration or natural forms, several by sensations felt within the throat- choking, crying, coughing, swallowing, having a lump there. It's quite a sensitive and fascinating area of the body and I was trying to capture that.


Meanwhile I was continuing painting, and exploring my newfound love of latex. I created latex forms from sculptures made in the second term, creating alien forms reminiscent of bodily fluid such as phlegm.

No comments:

Post a Comment