Tuesday 5 July 2011

Term 3 part 3!

I'm cutting a lot out but getting up to date. Alongside my 2d work I explored latex. I wanted something physical and sensory to show alongside my drawings, to act as stimuli for the viewer and create a real 'specimen' of the invasion and illness I had been depicting within the body.




I sewed several pieces together to create this, giving it a handmade feel- though not detracting from its alien/fluid/natural appearance.


I also experimented creating more 2d pieces which I pressed, pinned and layered over drawings.


This is one of my favourite things that I made. The drawing was inspired by the motuh/throat area but drawn from memory and sensations rather than actually looking, giving it a more ambiguous appearance. Rather than looking like phlegm in the mouth it comes to look more like a vaginal fungal infection/discharge.


Exploring the use of light in my work, thinking about microscopes and reflections.


Thinking about ways of displaying my sculptural latex work. I tried hanging/pinning it alongside drawings but it seemed a bit out of place. Here I placed it on a tissue, relating it back to what it represents, perhaps hinting toward emotion but also the sensory experience of blowing your nose. I liked the idea of keeping and displaying something you would usually throw away as disgusting.



I made a second, quite aggressive form with longer 'legs' or protrusions and staged it alongside the first in quite a violent and claustrophobic scene. I like to think that the first is more feminine and the second more masculine. I am pleased with the sense of animation and life and the fascination with things weird or disgusting.

No comments:

Post a Comment